Friday, March 18, 2011

Sushiism souf of da bordah

First off, SAFETY FIRST.


IN CASE OF FIRE, DO NOT USE THE FIRE ALARM.
I just came off a whirlwind vacation. Which means I haven't slept much. What did do was spend the first half of my week missing my bike... And the second half of the week riding. I purchased some new bike parts: a saddle and a cycling computer with an altimeter. I'm an altimeter junkie. I love those things and I don't quite know why. So, I was carrying those things around without my bike.
Until yesterday. I was finally reunited with my bike. I, of course, was elated and put on the new computer with altimeter (I registered a 9% grade today, that's hott). I refrained from reseating my bike as I was about to embark on an epic 110 mile ride. I should have. A long ride is a good way to break in a saddle, and my previous saddle, despite its roughly 5000 miles of breaking in, could not have been more uncomfortable... Just an aside, if you lose weight, be prepared for an entirely different experience of sitting.
Which brings me to the Mexican Sushi. For some reason, people are narrow minded about everything. Sushi is NOT Mexican. The very concept requires some mental flexibility. So, why, after explaining what was in this dish did I get I have this discussion:
"So, what kind of Fish did you use."
"I didn't use any fish."
"but it's sushi."
"Yeah, kind of."
"And sushi has fish."
Ah, first of all, no, not necessarily. Second of all, sushi is not Mexican. Not even remotely. The paradigm is already way, way off.

MEXICAN SUSHI (without fish, but you could add some if you want)


1 onion
1 green pepper
1 portabella cap
Season with Cumin, Chili, oregano, salt and pepper the sauté with oil and finish it with a balsamic reduction.
1 C jasmine/sushi rice... Cooked
1 avocado, sliced
Cilantro, chopped
Cheese, shredded
Chili sauce
Egg beaten and placed in bowl
Oil in a pan cause your frying
Corn Tortillas

Cook the rice and let it cool so you can stick your hand in it. Warm the tortillas in a damp towel so they are pliable. Then, spread a small amount of rice over the tortilla, put in some of the mushroom and pepper mix and a little bit avacado (when you roll them, they hold less than you think). Roll them up, and stick 2 toothpicks near the center. Then slice it in half between the toothpicks. Stick the cut ends in the egg for a few seconds the place it cut end down in the hot, hot oil. Give it a minute and pull it out. Sprinkle it with cheese, cilantro, and chili sauce.

No comments: